995.4.24: Dry Ice Apparatus, 1940-1960

Additional Images

995.4.24: Dry Ice Apparatus.
Image No. 3456 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Portable apparatus which consist of a delivery system for dry ice from liquid carbon dioxide (CO2) cartridges using an applicator for capturing and using the ice. The apparatus fits into a case with a blue velvet lining. The case contains the chamber: a clear plastic casing to which is attached by screw thread a base made of black plastic insulating material and the cartridge support: an elongated shell with outer longitudinal ribs. Also three tube applicators of varying sizes with pistons, a CO2 cartridge held within the cartridge support, four extra CO2 cartridges, a metal spatula and an envelope containing five cleaning wires for needles. Case dimensions given.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.24
Collection: Dermatology
Date: 1940-1960

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 7.5 cm
  • Width: 19.3 cm
  • Depth: 13.5 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Base for casing
  • b) Cartridge support
  • c) Casing
  • d) Applicator and piston
  • e) Applicator and piston
  • f) Applicator and piston
  • g) Hinged lidded case
  • h) Envelope containing 5 needle wires
  • i) Carbon dioxide cartridge
  • j) Carbon dioxide cartridge
  • k) Carbon dioxide cartridge
  • l) Carbon dioxide cartridge
  • m) Carbon dioxide cartridge
  • n) Spatula

Object Materials

  • chemical-liquid,
  • chrome plate,
  • metal,
  • paint coating,
  • paper,
  • plastic,
  • plasticised textile,
  • printing ink,
  • steel,
  • velvet,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Kidde Manufacturing Co. Inc.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: After a charge of dry ice has been formed in the applicator, the applicator can remain in the casing until needed. When the applicator is removed from the casing the piston is inserted and the dry ice is advanced towards the end for application. Used for burning off skin problems, etc. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor [Captain] and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.