995.4.25: Diagnostic Set, 1950-1970

Additional Images

995.4.25: Diagnostic Set.
Image No. 2434 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Diagnostic set in a lined case consisting of a battery handle with ‘ALLEN & HANBURYS LONDON MADE IN ENGLAND’ stamped into base and ‘RIMLOCK TRADE MARK ENGLAND’ stamped into neck. A 'MAY OPHTHALMOSCOPE IMPROVED’ with 23 lenses ranging in power from minus 20 to plus 20. A diagnostic otoscope with an auxiliary magnifying lens and lamp attached. Three aural specula: 4mm, 5mm & 6mm. Two spare lamps. Label is attached to case interior. Dimensions given are for closed case.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.25
Collection: Diagnostic, Clinical
Date: 1950-1970

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 19 cm
  • Height: 5 cm
  • Width: 13 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Ophthalmoscope
  • b) Otoscope
  • c) Battery handle
  • d) Aural specula 4mm
  • e) Aural specula 6mm
  • f) Aural specula 5mm
  • g) Hinged lined case with catch
  • h) Lamp
  • i) Lamp

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • coating,
  • copper alloy,
  • enameled paint,
  • filament,
  • glass,
  • leatherette,
  • metal,
  • plastic,
  • printing ink,
  • steel,
  • textile,
  • velvet,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Allen & Hanburys Ltd.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor [Captain] and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.