995.4.29: Binocular Magnifier, c. 1920

Additional Images

995.4.29: Binocular Magnifier.
Image No. 2374 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Watson's "Speera" magnifier consists of two achromatic lenses set at an angle in rolled gold spectacle frames with curl side arms and an adjustable spring bar bridge and plaquets pivoted on the frame with cork nose-pads with striations to give better grip. The lenses are fixed into a coated metal housing and held in place by bars screwed into housing. The magnifier's case is lined with velvet and has the manufacturer's name and address in gold print. The information leaflet accompanying the magnifier gives the manufacturer's details and information on two types of 'Binocular Magnifier'. Dimensions given are for spectacle frames only.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.29
Collection: Ophthalmology
Date: c. 1920

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 4.5 cm
  • Width: 13.5 cm
  • Depth: 11.2 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Spectacles
  • b) Case
  • c) Folded information leaflet, 4 sides

Object Materials

  • copper alloy,
  • cork,
  • glass,
  • gold,
  • gold print,
  • leather,
  • metal,
  • paper,
  • printing ink,
  • steel,
  • unidentified coating,
  • velvet

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Watson, W., & Sons Ltd.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor [Captain] and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.