995.4.41: Celerit, 1930-1939

Additional Images

995.4.41: Celerit. Box for 'Celerit' prism blocks, front view
Image No. 1483 Box for 'Celerit' prism blocks, front view; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Cube shaped wrap around cardboard box containing the full set of 16 tan coloured blocks [prism shaped] of Celerit, a resinous reinforcing material used with Hominit as part of the 'Poller Moulage process', a process for making reproductions. Invented by Dr Alphonse Poller [of Vienna], it is used in conjunction with Negocoll (elastic hydrocolloidal composition) and Hominit [Registered Trade Marks]. Summary of the method of use as quoted from 'The Ideal Materials for Plastic Reproductions' booklet [printed by Kern Company] - "When the Negocoll has been liquefied by heating and allowed to cook thoroughly, it is applied to the object to be reproduced; the application is usually made by brush or syringe. When the Negocoll negative has cooled and set, it is removed from the object. Then the Hominit, which must first be melted by heating, is brushed on or poured in, to form the positive or moulage, and is reinforced with gauze and with the reinforcing material, Celerit. When the positive has set, the positive and negative are separated without difficulty".

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.41
Collection: Anatomy & Pathology
Date: 1930-1939

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 10.6 cm
  • Width: 10.5 cm
  • Depth: 10 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Printed cardboard box, cube shaped, wrap around 1 piece with corrugated cardboard lining
  • b) Prism shaped block x 16
  • c) Stapled booklet:'The Ideal Materials for Plastic Reproductions - Negocoll, Hominit, Celerit, Dr. A. Poller's moulage process', Kern Company 136 Liberty Street, New York, N.Y.
  • d) 'Hominit and Celerit' directions for use sheet

Object Materials

  • cardboard,
  • organic material,
  • paper,
  • printing ink,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Apotela Ltd.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: The 'Celerit' blocks would be used to make casts directly from the patient. The casts would then be used as teaching aids or for future reference. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.