995.4.42: Hominit, 1930-1939

Additional Images

995.4.42: Hominit. Box containing 'Hominit' prism blocks, front view
Image No. 1493 Box containing 'Hominit' prism blocks, front view; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Cube shaped wrap around cardboard box containing 11 "CREME" coloured blocks [prism shaped] of Hominit, a resinous material used as part of the 'Poller Moulage process'. Hominit is a quick-setting positive material used when hot for mold making. Invented by Dr Alphonse Poller [of Vienna], it is used in conjunction with Negocoll (elastic hydrocolloidal composition) and Celerit [Registered Trade Marks]. Suppliers name and address "KERN COMPANY 136 LIBERTY ST. NEW YORK, N.Y." printed on internal lid surface. Summary of the method of use as quoted from The Ideal Materials for Plastic Reproductions booklet [printed by Kern Company] - "When the Negocoll has been liquefied by heating and allowed to cook thoroughly, it is applied to the object to be reproduced; the application is usually made by brush or syringe. When the Negocoll negative has cooled and set, it is removed from the object. Then the Hominit, which must first be melted by heating, is brushed on or poured in, to form the positive or moulage, and is reinforced with gauze and with the reinforcing material, Celerit. When the positive has set, the positive and negative are separated without difficulty". Originally the box contained 16 prism blocks [each L6cmxW4.5cmxH3cm] .

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.42
Collection: Anatomy & Pathology
Date: 1930-1939

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 10.5 cm
  • Width: 10.4 cm
  • Depth: 10 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • cardboard,
  • organic material,
  • paper,
  • printing ink

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Apotela Ltd. (Supplier: Kern Company, 136 Liberty St., New York, N.Y.)
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: The 'Hominit' blocks would be used to make casts directly from the patient. The casts would then be used as teaching aids or for future reference. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.