995.4.86: Binocular Loupe, 1950-1959

Additional Images

995.4.86: Binocular Loupe.
Image No. 2381 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Physician's spectacles consisting of a folding metal spectacle frame with corrective bifocal lenses, fixed plaquets and cable curl side arms. Extending from each side of the bridge are two projecting bars [incised decoration on one side] ending in a pair of framed rectangular magnifying lenses hanging from a bar with an adjusting knob each end to set the width between the lenses. The magnifying lenses are sphero-prisms which allow the eyes to maintain a normal binocular relationship.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.86
Collection: Ophthalmology
Date: 1950-1959

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 6 cm
  • Width: 13.5 cm
  • Depth: 20.3 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • glass,
  • metal,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.